Balmoral Golf Club was founded in Malone Presbyterian Church on the Lisburn Road on 6th March 1914 and the Course was built on the present site which was leased from the well know Hamill Family of Trench House.
After World War 1, and when normality resumed the land was purchased and the Club engaged the services of the renowned Golf Course Architect, Dr Alaister Mackenzie, to design a course up to the standard of the time.
The cost was £4507.19.1in 1920 and over the next two years the cost increased to £7445.0.10.
Dr McKenzie went on to design prestigious courses worldwide including Royal Melbourne, Cypress Point, Lahinch, Royal Troon and significantly Augusta. He must have learned a lot at Balmoral!
Famous golfers associated with Balmoral include Open Champion 1947 at Hoylake, Fred Daly. Fred also played on Ryder Cup and Canada Cup Teams on several occasions. Norman Drew, Eddie Polland and David Feherty, all protégés of Fred’s went on to play on Ryder Cup Teams ………… some record for any Club.
Balmoral has had one particularly able Lady Member as well, Dorothy Humphreys (nee Foster), three time Ulster Amateur Champion 1952 / 1953 / 1957. Irish Ladies Champion 1952.
Curtis Cup Member 1953 and Irish International 1951,1952,1953, 1955 and 1957.
Sadly Dorothy died in 2010.
An exciting year at Balmoral is anticipated in 2014.